Roses are red. Violet is …
Carefree. Relaxed. Easygoing.
Not one of these words describes Violet Woodward Pu.
But if you would like to follow the adventures of a worrywart with an elephantine memory, you’ve come to the right place!
About Violet Woodward Pu
- I’m half-Chinese, half-Scots Irish.
- Growing up in Georgia, this was not a coveted combo. My dad is Chinese, giving me my fab two-letter last name.
- By “fab,” I mean that any way you approach it it’s a pejorative.
- Incorrect pronunciation = Pewww (“Pewww? That stinks!” “Thanks, I know. My last name is a synonym for feces.”)
- Spelling it out: Peee-Uuuu (see conversation above)
- Correct pronunciation = POO. (Oh, shit! Literally.)
- By the time I got to Yale — thanks in part to an essay about Kung Pao Southern fried chicken and pu-erh sweet tea — I got a clue and added in a courtesy “Woodward.” (My mom’s maiden name — we even have a family crest!) And jarringly for me, in college people LOVED that biracial business. I’m sorry to report that I jumped on the “Fetishize THIS” train and have yet to disembark. Now I tell people that I’m a “halfie” any chance I get. It sure beats having any of those Pu conversations.
- I’m a middle child. Two sisters. Unlimited neuroses!
- We can’t break up because then I won’t have any use for this.
Follow me on Google +!
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.